Sunday, May 07, 2006

Our First Mystery Rash

Ethan doesn't get sick. He's like his dad that way. And on the rare occasion that he is, we usually find out about it by accident. (Like the two times he's had ear infections in both ears when we went in for well-baby check-ups!) He never seems to be really bothered.

But today, he has a rash. It apparently appeared friday and SOMEONE forgot to tell me about it. I discovered it on the back of Ethan's neck and on his arms when I gave him a bath last night. It didn't look too bad, maybe just a combination of dry skin and too much sun, so Ethan got all lotioned up before bed. This morning, the majority of the small dots are gone, but the ones that stayed are bigger, redder, itchy, and spreading! It's now on his face. And of course, it's Sunday. Today is going to be fun! Benadryl and oatmeal baths should hold us until the morning. If it's worse tomorrow, I'll take him to the doctors. If it's the same, I'll just call and make sure that I'm doing what I should be. If it's better, I'll be proud of myself!

Just as long as it's not a reaction to something. The only thing different about the last week was being outside more. Oh! And the beach. Maybe he's allergic to seaweed? Or mussels? (Both were washed up on the beach we went to.) Anyway, he's too young for allergy testing, so it would mean trial and error to find places he could play. Yuck.

I hope it's just a weird nothing. Poor little guy.

No comments: