Saturday, April 04, 2009

Whirlwind

My typical day goes like this:
- Get up a little after the boys do and let John get out of the house
- Run errands, play, or if Edward's in a good mood, take care of some chores
- Lunch
- Put Edward down for a nap, Ethan in front of the Wii, and take a shower
- Get ready for work and sneak in another chore or two
- Hand-off the kids to John
- 8-hrs on my feet in the lab
- Come home and crash into bed

Working every evening is creating some problems that I'm not sure how to deal with. Notice two things. I only have time for a small handful of chores each day, and usually most of them involve loads of laundry or cleaning up after the last meal. And there is no down-time for me.

My house is becoming progressively messier and I just can't spend all weekend, every week, cleaning.

And I've started cutting back on sleep to get a few quiet minutes every day. Not a good solution.

I'm not complaining. I really enjoy my job and know that it's what I'm supposed to be doing right now. And part of the reason this job is right is because it allows me to be home with my boys for much of their day.

But after two weeks, I'm seeing that we're going to need to make some changes around here. It's been a whirlwind. I need to feel like I have my feet under me again.

Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Erin said...

I can only imagine what a whirlwind it has been for you. Sounds like John needs to take over half the chores, or at least divide things up a bit so you aren't having to do all the upkeep. It is just impossible for you to do alone. Good luck with that!

Valerie said...

I hear you! hire someone (high school or a friends teenager) for 2 hours a week or every other week. They do the bathrooms, and kitchen. The six months I did that, my house was the cleanest ever. It didn't cost much, but it made just enough of a difference.

Jess Sattler said...

Congrats on the new job! Working FT evenings is rough. I work evenings 24hrs/wk and I too have trouble getting everything done. I would suggest lowering you standards of tidiness, hiring some help with kitchen and bath deep cleaning. If you don't want to hire babysitting help- maybe do a swap for a couple hours a week with someone from the ward? Sometimes it is easier to take care of 4 kids than your own 2 (they keep each other occupied), then use "your" two hours as time for yourself that is not work or chore time. If you don't take care of yourself- you risk burning out and that's no good. Hang in there!