Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Stuck at Home

I've always considered myself a homebody. Typically, I'd rather be at home than go out. But not lately.

When we moved to TX, we sold our second car. We fully expected to buy another when we arrived, but ended up not really needing it. John had a regular ride to work and just didn't need a car. For the first time in many years, we were a one car family!

Now that John is unemployed, we have a problem. He spends most days meeting people, networking, going to events to meet other people, contracting, and generally being out of the house. It's great for the job search. If the market was better, John would be well settled in a new job already.

But it's not great for me. I've found that I liked to be a homebody when I could choose to stay home. To ignore the errands and invitations and just spend the day playing with my boys and making yummy things. Now that I'm stuck at home, I'm sick of being here. I'm sick of all the extra cleaning because we're always here to mess things up. I'm sick of the boys whining because they're bored and want to go do something. I'm sick of staring at the same walls everyday.

In Boston, at least we could have walked places. Moody street was literally a few steps away, with all of the fun shops and restaurants to stop at. The library was only a few blocks. And the train was close enough that we could get into the city without a car. (Not that I ever did, because I had a car. But I could have!)

Here in TX, almost nothing is in walking distance. The grocery store would be doable if there were sidewalks. But I'm not risking my boys lives by walking them along the edges of those busy main roads. And I don't need groceries!! I really want to go to IKEA so that Ethan can play in the kid room while Edward and I pick up some new measuring spoons. Such a minor errand. But it would help our day go more smoothly.

Oh! I'd better end this. I hear the whining from one and the mean voice from the other. I've resigned myself to yet another day stuck at home.

6 comments:

Mel said...

I hear you with the one car thing. It sure is lonely and boring. Like Texas, everything in Utah is too far to walk to. Boston and Hawaii both gave me the pleasure of enjoyable distance walking...man I miss those times.

amanda said...

I'm the same way. I love to be at home and prefer to- unless I have to. I'm going crazy with Ian being quarantined at home from school!
BTW- our dip sticks are albustix- I guess that's the brand, I don't know. But they say to match the color immediately. That is exciting- because it has been lighter. I took some pee to a lab today- so we will get the more detailed results.
Love ya girl.

Janelle said...

So sorry I can't come pick you up now that we have room in our new van! I totally understand feeling stranded, though. Can you at least walk around the neighborhood? Too bad you missed the storm on Sunday/Monday--you would have loved it and wouldn't have wanted to go anywhere!

dastew said...

After spending the weekend in NYC I think I could totally get used to living in a car free city. As long as I can have a yard as well....

Hannah said...

its nice not needing a car in boston, but i miss rhonda :( i really miss having a car sometimes. actually alot of the time... come back to boston! we have real sidewalks!

Carrie said...

So say I was wanting a little trip to Ikea... :)