Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Horrible Mother

Yes. I am going to admit my most horrible mothering moment. Mostly so that I can get you to share yours and make me not feel so bad.

Yesterday, I was a little stressed out by Ethan's state of mind after preschool and by the ridiculous dinner I was trying to make. I put Edward down for a nap and went to work on dinner while trying to keep Ethan from bursting into tears every other minute.

About thirty minutes into the nap, I wasn't thinking and turned on the food processor. It was so loud. I'm sure the neighbors heard it. So it woke up Edward. I heard him cry for a second and then a loud *thunk*. Then screaming. I ran upstairs and burst into his room to find him on the floor, crawling around while screeching his head off.

I'd been so distracted when I'd put him down that I'd forgotten to raise the side of the crib. He'd gone to stand up and launched himself over the railing. Poor guy. He was back to normal a few minutes later, but it was scary. I did a thorough check. Physically and neurologically he's just fine. But my trust in my own skills is suffering a little.

Tell me your most horrible mothering moment. Anonymously if you're reluctant to share. I need to be reminded that little slips are going to happen.

10 comments:

Janelle said...

Let me just say, I don't have a horrible mothering moment, we'll just lump the last 2 weeks into a horrible mothering mayhem, complete with yelling, screaming, tantrums (by both adult and child), crying, throwing, etc. Hang in there. You're doing better than me. Miss you. It was weird to start preschool without you guys.

Monica said...

Been there, done that many a time (forgetting to put the railing up) but luckily she never fell out. But one time when she was a little over a year, I had to go back into Boulder for a work party so I put her to bed and then was getting ready to go. She started crying and I didn't want to go back in there or else I would be late so I was about to make Zack get her when we heard the THUMP. I guess she had climbed up on the little mirror play thing that was tied to the side of her crib and those extra 3 inches were enough for her to fall out. We both felt horrible but after lots of hugging and cuddling, I still finally had to hand her over to Zack so I wouldn't miss my party. :) Pretty bad, huh?

Linda said...

let's see--there's you taking a nose dive over my hMip, off the side of the bed and breaking your collar bone. There's you eating the tube of red acrylic paint (you looked like you swallowed a razor blade). There's you drinking the whole bottle of baby tylenol within plain view of 6 adults. And this was all before you were 2 and the first of 5 kids. Mothering is quite a rollercoaster, and the the big dips are really sucky.

Anonymous said...

I just have one thing to say....look at your husband's thumb. :-) Until there are scars, you haven't done anything really bad.

Marci said...

Hey Mia!

I had a horrible mom moment last week. Left Z in his bouncer seat on the bathroom counter. (what was I thinking???) to run and grab my toothbrush out of my bathroom. Z started crying, so Sam tried to "soothe" him by bouncing the seat. Yep. You guessed it. Z and seat fell off onto the tile floor. Lovely. Still makes me cringe to think about it. I felt HORRIBLE for days. Still do...

Truth is that they will survive (as will you). And quite frankly, won't remember it. :)

Valerie said...

I wouldn't want to clutter your comment spot with the LISTS of horrible things I have done as a mother in the last few months. Hours of TV while I pack and unpack. Hours of watching the portable DVD player, while I drive around looking for houses. Bags of goldfish for lunches, since we have no real food in the house. I could go on and on!

John Johansen said...

I do all kinds of things that horrify you when you walk in on Ethan and I playing.

Haven't managed to hurt him too badly yet. I'll have to try harder with Edward. ;)

Susie said...

Boy, I have a few. Like pinching my baby's double chin in his car seat buckle, having my purse slip off my shoulder and "zip cord" its way down my arm and into his unsuspecting face, and then just a few weeks ago I was adjusting my 2 year-old's new bike helmet and pinched his throat in the buckle repeatedly (you'd think I would have learned after the car seat buckle!)
Or how about the time that my husband and I were enjoying a quiet, leisurely dinner, wondering why the baby was taking such a long nap on our bed. After dinner, I went in the bedroom and the baby was gone. But I could hear him screaming faintly. It took us a moment to discover he'd rolled off the bed and landed in the garbage can! And we had no idea how long he'd been in there!
The best advice I heard was when a more experienced mom witnessed the purse-in-the-face incident. I was horrified, but she said, "Honey, it'll happen again, and he's fine, so get over it."
After sharing such awful confessions, I shouldn't tell you who I am. But I will anyway so you won't think I'm some crazy random person reading your blog. I was in Taylor Hall with John, and was just checking to see what he was up to!

scooping it up said...

I put Mark down on the bed in anger because Jane was being naughty and I had to stop what she was doing. I basically set him down, ran to go get Jane and throw her in time out and was in the middle of lecturing her when I heard the "thunk" and Mark was on the floor. I was too mad at Jane to notice how close he'd been to the edge. So, not only was I not careful, I wasn't careful because I was ticked off. Somehow that made it worse.

scooping it up said...

I put Mark down on the bed in anger because Jane was being naughty and I had to stop what she was doing. I basically set him down, ran to go get Jane and throw her in time out and was in the middle of lecturing her when I heard the "thunk" and Mark was on the floor. I was too mad at Jane to notice how close he'd been to the edge. So, not only was I not careful, I wasn't careful because I was ticked off. Somehow that made it worse.