Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mommy Milestone

I got to make my first call to Poison Control today. Yay!

Edward found a cold pack that had fallen out of the freezer. I used to let him gum them on occasion b/c he didn't have teeth and the cold felt good. BAD IDEA. He has a tooth now. When I discovered him, Edward grinned up at me with red gel all over his mouth.

Luckily, they're not toxic. The nice guy at Poison Control was quick to tell me that Edward was fine. Then he said that he may have some minor irritation, but giving him something to drink and cleaning him up would help prevent that. It sounded like they have calls about these cold packs relatively often. Often enough that he didn't need to look up anything.

I expected that the call would be lengthy with lots of questions about how it happened and exactly what brand the unlabeled cold pack was. But it was quick and painless. The only questions they asked were for tracking data - age, sex, and zip code. The whole call was less than a minute.

I'm glad that my first call to them was easy and a non-issue. Because I'll know how helpful they are when one of the boys eats something that's actually poisonous. Rumor has it they'll call 911 for you and stay on the phone until help arrives. To keep answering questions and give first aid instructions. Lets hope I never have to find out!

4 comments:

Linda said...

Yes, she called poison control, but she called Dr Mom first

Alissa said...

i've called poison control 2x. both times we didn't need to do anything.

but they are sooo great about not judging you. and the fact that you weren't watching your child while she climbed into your medicine cabinet and ate your entire pack of birth control pills.

Anonymous said...

Please- I have poison control programmed into my phone. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

I forget if it was you or Dorothy that had bright red running out of your mouth and down your face. First assumption was you had been chewing on a razor blade. Cleaning and inspection diagnosed it as biting through a tube of red acrylic paint. Dad