Saturday, August 09, 2008

Lesson #4

Be careful what you pack on top of your dryer.

After more than a week of trips to Home Depot to get the right pipe fittings, I was finally able to hook up our gas dryer. Then I turned it on. Each time the drum rotated there was a LOUD thump. I researched online and in the manual. Nothing seemed right, so I decided to just open it up and see if I could tell what the problem was. (Yes. I am the daughter of an engineer.) After removing the top I determined that the seam of the drum was scraping the top of the dryer. The entire top was dented so subtly I hadn't seen it until I knew what I was looking for. I took a rubber mallet to it and now have a fully functional and quiet dryer.

The dent was apparently caused by a box slightly smaller than dryer top. When additional weight was added on top of that, the smaller box left a dent. Don't do this! The repair wasn't hard but was a major pain because of the way the top is attached.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

As I pack my house I am taking careful note of all your lessons, so keep them coming.